Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief: Book and Show

 Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief 
By Krishna Jaswal

I’m sure many of you have heard about the book Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. Many kids read it in elementary or middle school. For me personally, Percy Jackson was my childhood. I remember being introduced to the book right before COVID hit and I read all the books throughout the pandemic. I’m sure some of you have also heard about the new Percy Jackson series on Disney+. In this blog, I will dive a little deeper into both the book and the show as well as the differences between them!


Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief is the first book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. The book is set in the United States (they go on an adventure so the city or state does change often) and involves lots of Greek mythology. The book starts with Percy, a 12-year-old boy who starts to learn more about himself. Percy finds out that his father is Poseidon, one of the big gods of Greek mythology. To make things even more complicated, he's thrown into a quest. A quest to find something that has been stolen and prevent a war. He’s been blamed for stealing the lightning bolt that belongs to Zeus because Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades had made a promise to not have any more demigod children. So since Poseidon has now broken the oath, Percy is to blame for the stolen weapon because Zeus thinks Poseidon is using his children to plot against him. Because who, if not Poseidon, would steal the lightning bolt? To clear his name, Percy and some newly made friends from the demigod camp, Camp Half-Blood, must go find Zeus’ lightning bolt before a war breaks out between Zeus and Poseidon. Without much of a choice Percy sets out on his quest and along the way makes new friends (and some enemies), runs into mythical creatures, and learns how to use his unique abilities gifted from his dad.


The show also follows a similar storyline with a few differences here and there. Percy finds out he's a demigod, goes on a quest to find the master bolt, and experiences many things along the way. The show is a 5 season series that follows all 5 of the books from the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. As of the date of publication of this blog, the first season of the show is still airing and can be watched on Disney+!


However, like every show or movie adaptation, there are differences. The appearances of some characters are different from the book in the movie. For example, Percy in the book has black hair but in the show, he has blond hair. There are other differences in the appearances of characters but the actors were hand-picked by the author of the books, Rick Riordan. From what I’ve seen of the show so far, the actors may not look completely the same as in the book but I do have to say they do embody the characters really well! Rick Riordan did an amazing job at picking the characters out! Another big difference that I feel like comes with most adaptations of books into shows or movies is some scenes being left out or new scenes being included. In the show, there are multiple scenes from the book that have been left out and some that have been added. There have also been some alterations to the plot but not huge changes to the point the whole story has been changed. 


If you are debating whether to read the book or watch the show, I would highly recommend you read the book first. I personally think it’s better to read the book and then watch the show because you can see the differences or similarities. Whereas if you watch the show and then read the book, you might be confused about some events that may have happened in the book and not in the movie or vice versa. I do have to say, both the movie and book do have funny scenes or moments that always make me laugh. So if you’re looking for a laugh or just something to check out, I recommend the Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief both the book and show! 




Comments

  1. Hi Krishna, Percy Jackson was also my childhood! I'm glad that the books are getting a good adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Krishna, I remember reading and loving this book. Unfortunately, when I watched the movie I was extremely disappointed (It's a really bad movie) but I hope this new TV show does this amazing book more justice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too read Percy Jackson when I was pretty young and I remember falling in love with the books. I loved them so much that I went on to read the sequel series, the Hero of Olympus, and the sequel series after that one (Trials of Apollo). I have not gotten around to reading the latest book released last year, but I definitely plan to stay engaged with this incredible series. Finally I just want to say I am super happy that Percy Jackson seems to be getting an actually decent adaptation because I still remember how awful the movie was (also how much it disappointed me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Krishna, I also recall being introduced to Percy Jackson before COVID. I read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series when I was younger. I have not watched the TV show yet, but it seems like a decent adaptation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Krishna, I also read a lot of Percy Jackson as a kid. I also read many of the other series and was generally obsessed, so it's really nice to see a blog on it! After reading your blog, I might have to check out the show. I've heard the show is pretty accurate to the books, too, especially since the movie was really bad. Thank you for the blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Percy Jackson is so nostalgic and I remember spending hours on this series as a kid. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Percy Jackson is one of the only series I have read all the way through, but I haven't finished the show yet, but so far, it seems good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Krishna! I'm glad to hear that the show is pretty good! I knew that the movie adaptation they tried to do a couple years ago was pretty bad. So I'm glad that it is now getting its justice! I might have to try watching it as I do like the percy jackson series.

    ReplyDelete
  9. PJO was one of the very first book series I ever read, so I was looking forward to the show (esp after the disastrous movie). It looks like almost everyone in the fandom (including you ig) is enjoying it so I might just be a hater, but I honestly hated the show :,) Like I enjoyed the casting (esp Aryan), no problems there, but the spirit of the books (imo) was really just killed in the show. I was expecting it to be kind of silly and weird like the books, but instead it turned into a melodramatic YA adventure series, which, though I occasionally enjoy those as well, really disappointed me. It's good to hear that you're enjoying it though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games Catching Fire: Book Review By Krish

Robenas Tadesse's Top 3 Recommended Books to Read Over the Summer

My Life in Dog Years Book Review by Krish