Squeeze Me (By Carl Hiaasen) Review by Robenas Tadesse


    The story of how I stumbled across this book is less than enthralling. I finished the winter reading program at The Urbana Free Library and had the opportunity to choose two free books of my choice. The bright colors on this novel caught my eye, yes, but what intrigued me the most was the author’s name written in large bold letters: Carl Hiaasen. I’ve read a couple of his books before and they were up there with my absolute favorites. When I took this practical chunk of gold home I was almost buzzing with excitement… and was taken aback by the amount of profanity that the book contained. Pretty much every other sentence in this novel is locked and loaded with enough curse words to make your parents faint. Nevertheless, I turned each page with eagerness…

Squeeze Me is about Kiki Pew Fitzsimmons, an important member of high society, mysteriously and suddenly disappearing from the pinnacle of Palm Beach’s charity ball season. Kiki Pew was a founding member of the Potussies, an organization of women determined to support the President (who most of the year inhabits his estate known as the “Winter White House” just down the street) by any means necessary. Meanwhile, Angie Armstrong, a professional and well-experienced wildlife catcher is summoned to the island of Palm Beach, Florida to resolve the issue of a particularly gargantuan Burmese python that has made itself home in a tree. 

The President, however, is hyperfocused on the abrupt vanishing of  Kiki Pew. Pathetically, he quickly blames this mystery on the rampaging immigrant hordes. This is of course far from the truth, and the answer to their plight is unsuspectedly right under their noses…

Although this novel probably isn’t the most family-friendly of them all, it packs an extremely entertaining and hilarious punch. I guarantee you you will laugh out loud at least once while reading this book, whether it's the scandalous sexual affairs, the inside views of the laughable incompetency of the President (whose character suspiciously starts to take the form of former President Donald J. Trump), the witty and amusing remarks and retorts of Angie Armstrong, or just the entire situation of the book itself.

I think that Squeeze Me by Carl Hiaasen is a phenomenal book that perfectly captures the messy imperfections of modern society in a funny and interesting way.

 

Comments

  1. Hi Robenas! The way you described this book is really interesting. I'll be sure to check it out in the feature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really interesting! As someone who's read almost all of Carl Hiaasen's books, I've been wanting to read this book for ages but never got around to it. Based on your summary, the book seems to have Hiaasen's trademark style of mystery blended with lighthearted humor, but I was surprised to hear that there were so many curse words, since I don't remember there being very many in the other books of his that I've read. How would you say /Squeeze Me/ compares to the other books you've read by this author?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Squeeze Me" is definitely a million times funnier and a lot more targeted towards young adults. But it still has Carl Hiaasen's signature twisting, captivating plot.

      Delete
  3. I had never heard of this book before, but I've read a lot of Carl Hiassen's books, and I'm excited to add this to my TBR list! Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way you wrote this is really great. The words you use remind me of how we talk every day. This sounds really interesting, and I'll be sure to check it out sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Robenas, I really liked the way you wrote this review. Your casual tone made it fun and easy to read while still painting a nice picture of what kind of a book "Squeeze Me" is. It seems interesting and I'll definitely look forward to checking it out in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Robenas, I really liked that you wrote this review in your voice. It felt like we just had a conversation! I have not read any books from this author but I feel like this needs to be the first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting review Robenas! This book sounds very intriguing, and the review really painted a picture in my mind of the story, and how it relates to our modern messed up society. I thought the story of how you found it entertaining as well. I might check this book out! (If my parents let me that is. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This honestly seems really cool! I have never heard of this author before, but I might have to add this to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games Catching Fire: Book Review By Krish

Robenas Tadesse's Top 3 Recommended Books to Read Over the Summer

My Life in Dog Years Book Review by Krish