Recommending a book based on your favorite class this year - Linden

 

 

        Hey guys! Summer is almost upon us, and that means summer reading. I'm not sure why I chose something as arbitrary as a favorite class to base my recommendations, but here we go.
                        
                    


        If your favorite class this year was consumer ed, first of all why? But in all seriousness, if you liked consumer ed then you are probably a big fan of economics and finance. I have not read any books about that, but after a bit of research, I found something interesting: Making Money by Terry Pratchett. The Royal Bank of Ankh-Morpork is facing a crisis and needs a change in management. Moist von Lipwig, Postmaster General and former con artist is invited to rescue the city’s failing financial institution. He doesn’t want the job, but the thing is, he doesn’t have a choice. Moist has many problems to solve at his new role which reveal some of the fantasy elements of the story: the chief cashier is almost certainly a vampire, the chairman needs to be taken on daily walks, and there’s something strange happening in the basement. However, when Moist begins making some ambitious changes, he also makes dangerous enemies. Because money is power and certain stakeholders will do anything to keep control of both. This book seems pretty interesting and is on my personal reading list. Also, if you liked consumer ed, you probably like pain, so I'll have to also recommend you the Beserk manga.
        

         I would recommend this book to anyone who found health class their favorite this year. The book is, of course, Obsessed by Allison Britz. Apparently, it is a memoir, but reads like a novel, which is why this book is so captivating. It is about a girl doing well in life, but one day gets a dream where she has brain cancer. She considers it a warning and starts blocking things from her life to prevent it. It starts small with things like avoiding sidewalk cracks, but eventually blocks other things like school materials and foods. as her OCD develops, it eventually starts becoming an issue that affects her GPA, her relationships, and her health. 
        
        I have also not read too many non-textbook math books. However, after a bit of research, I also found something for this. If your favorite class was Math, then I would recommend reading How Not to Be Wrong: The Power of Mathematical Thinking by Jordan Ellenberg. We all don't like being wrong. This book shows how we can use mathematics in the real world to explain how sure we are about something and clearly state arguments. It seems like a very interesting book and is an example of the useful real-life applications of math.
        
    


        Ok, I know I have already talked about this book on 2 occasions in my blog, but I really think that Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir is the perfect book for people that enjoyed biology class. I will try not to talk too much about it since I have already reviewed it. The story is centered around biology and science, and is both engaging, thought provoking, funny, and pretty intellectually stimulating as well. If you want more information, check out my review on it (My first review on "The G's blog"). 
        

        It was hard to think of a book for history, but I decided that since most of our final projects were about renaissance Europe (as well as last semester too) that a novel set then would be good. The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant follows the daily life of a young woman in renaissance Florence. She faces a conflict where she is torn between her passions and her family expectations, and this novel generally paints a picture of what renaissance life was like in a very elegant manner.

        I hope you guys enjoyed my somewhat wacky review, and I hope you have an amazing summer! (By the way, the reason I didn't put English is because any book could work, although more Shakespeare or other thought-provoking novels like The Kite Runner would be a good extenuation of our class reading)

Comments

  1. Hi Linden! History was honestly my favorite class this year and that book looks like it fits the vibe of what I usually read! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what if my favorite class was English class?!? How could you write a blog for a class and then forget to mention that same class in your blog! But in all seriousness good blog Linden! I went and read your other blog too and while they were both interesting I actually believe this was a better final blog for the year, but either way good job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hunger Games Catching Fire: Book Review By Krish

Robenas Tadesse's Top 3 Recommended Books to Read Over the Summer

My Life in Dog Years Book Review by Krish